Re: transmission and whatnot

From: Michael Clark (mike@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 14:49:26 EDT

> Okay, with the addition of a s/c, I'm very afraid for my transmission. It's
> seen 112k miles of abuse on my 97 dakota v6. I dont' mean neutral drop
> abuse, but it's been run hard from time to time :)

> Anyways. I'm thinking about a transmission, but it's about 600 bucks for a
> used tranny at the junk yard, yet I look in summit and jegs and I can get a
> full TCI street fighter tranny for 800 bucks. Will these units replace my
> 42re (500) i also saw other units for 1200 bucks. Please advise me on
> this one someone.

> Also. I looked throuhg KRC perform and their "viper 10" T/C can shave .5
> to .7 seconds off quarter mile times, but it's friggin 800 bucks! how
> hard will this torque converter be on my tranny internals, drive shaft
> components and rear end? also. how hard does it stall on the street? I
> don't want neck snapping (all the time)
> -Chuong

Chuong, my understanding of stall converters is that they are harder on
transmissions in that they produce more heat. They will not give you
a harder shift, they will actually create a softer shift because of
the extra slippage. That's why you usually install a shift kit along
with a stall converter. $800 is a lot, but that is THE best converter
out there. Is it worth that much? I don't know.

--Mike
www.mikesdakota.com