MPG - Is DC advertising the truth?

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 11:11:52 EDT

Read some posts about poorer MPG with AWD -vs- Part-Time 4WD

Got me wondering about DC's 'truth in advertising' re: MPG

I have a 2001 QC with AWD/Auto/3.92/T&H/Limited Slip
-I listed some of the options I have that I think would affect MPG

Right there on the sticker, it lists: 13 MPG City and 18 MPG Highway.

Is this a generic MPG 'estimate' from DC as under the gas pump symbol, it
only lists the truck as 4WD, 4.7, MFI, and 4-speed auto with Lockup Torque
Converter.

Does this mean it doesn't take into consideration the optional AWD, 3.92
rear, Bigger Tires, and Limited Slip, not to mention it's a Quad Cab and
heavier?

FWIW, after 4 months and 2600 miles (putting the miles on slow but
furious), I average around 17.1 MPG (some mods, good combo of city/highway
driving)...better than the average of the sticker's MPG which would be
15.5 MPG

BTW, I've read the disclaimer on the sticker, no mention that actual
milage will vary with options...when shopping vehicles, it's those BIG MPG
numbers that stick out and what I look at and compare.