Re: Piston Coating in my Oil???

From: Anthony_Gonatas@ars.aon.com
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 10:18:57 EDT

This piston crown has an ash color, which shows that the engine has run hot.
The ash color is actually piston material that has started to flash (melt) and
turned to tiny flakes.
If this engine was run any longer, it probably would,ve developed a hot spot and
 hole near the exhaust side and failed.
The main causes of this problem are too lean carb jetting, too hot spark plug
range, too far advanced ignition timing,
 too much compression for the fuel's octane, or a general overheating problem.

http://ericgorr.com/twostktech/pistondiaguide_2t.html

Not sure if this is the cause of your flakes, but I thought I'll pass this info
to you.