Was: RSX(defending the emblem), Now: Weight Savings

From: Woodruff, Jason P (Jason.Woodruff@West.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 13:59:47 EDT

With some of the weight savings talk that's gone on lately I wanted to bring
up a few things.

Plastic wheels? How much lighter would a strong enough plastic (or
composite whatever) be than a high quality aluminum wheel? I know in the
bicycle world BMX mag (plastic) wheels tend to be heavier than standard
alloy rim and steel spoke wheels. Plus you have problems keeping the tire
from slipping off the rim. Also alum bike frames can be made lighter than
carbon ones, but with drastically different ride qualities.

Here's another idea I thought about (not for my dak). Stereo equipment is
heavy, but necessary for a daily driver. So my idea was to built a box
(maybe wooden) and install a couple of speakers, an amp a head unit all in
this box. Then have one wiring harness come out of it. The vehicle would
have the mating harness from it. The wiring harness would only need one
power, one accessory and one ground connection. Then you would have a quick
disconnect for your stereo equipment, which could easily weight up to 75lbs
I would think.

Jay W
4.7L Auto Sport+ C.C. 2wd Black
Mods Profile page at
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Re5X8z5la@Ix2/profile.htm

In a message dated 9/13/2001 11:28:54 PM Central Daylight Time,