Re: 99 Dak problems.

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 22:29:03 EDT

I also have a '99. 40K miles on it.

steve preston wrote:

> I feel bad for you guys that are having problems with
> your Daks.99 seems like a bad year for some reason as
> far as common problems go,even though those models get
> the same problems as the 97 and 98 models.They just
> all seem to come to a head with the 99s.I know mine
> had every common problem available,plus the sag and
> hesitation that never got
> resolved.(Extremely,EXTREMELY aggravating).

> Let`s see....it had the harsh reverse engagement,

Common to most Dodge trucks. When parking, put truck in Neutral, set parking brake, let off brakes, put in park

> warped rotors

Not here

> belly pan gasket failure

Not here

> ball joint replacement on passenger-side

Guilty

> fluctuating idle (3.9)

Bum TPS. Haven't had it.

> ping

Bad intake design from the very beginning. Sandwiching one metal between 2 others that aren't the same to make a gasket? Just
begging for a problem.

> steering wheel pop

Shaft replaced under warranty

> and the rotors rusted or froze up after it
> had sat in bad weather for a few hours,which about put
> you through the windshield when you touched the brake
> the first time.

This isn't a Dakota-only problem; any "basic" metal rotor will form rust spots when sitting a while in damp conditions.

Find any large group of people owning the same vehicle and you will find similar results. This isn't a Dodge-only problem -
statistically, you are going to have a set of problems cropping up again and again given a sample population, regardless of make
or model. People on the the list are more "into" their vehicles and more attuned to problems, and notice things that 99.9% of
owners never do.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com