RE: I need help with rocker arm installation?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 15:39:13 EDT

1997 V6 Rocker Arm removal and installation:

REMOVAL
Disconnect spark plug wires by pulling on the boot straight out in line
with plug.
Remove cylinder head cover and gasket.
Remove the rocker arm bolts and pivots. Place them on a bench in the
same order as removed.
Remove the push rods and place them on a bench in the same order as
removed.
CAUTION: DO NOT rotate or crank the engine during or immediately after
rocker arm installation. Allow the hydraulic roller tappets adequate
time to bleed down (about 5 minutes).

INSTALLATION
Rotate the crankshaft until the "V6" mark lines up with the Top Dead
Center (TDC) mark on the timing chain case cover. This mark is located
147°After Top Dead Center (ATDC) from the No.1 firing position.
Install the push rods in the same order as removed.
Install rocker arm and pivot assemblies in the same order as removed.
Tighten the rocker arm bolts to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.) torque.
Install cylinder head cover.
Connect spark plug wires.

If you're using roller rockers, the installation/adjustment is
different.

- Bernd
(I've done this a few times on my '97 V6...let me know if you need
anything else.)