DML:RE: Blower guys/Denso Iridium Spark Plugs

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 22:21:02 EDT

Ok, I am gonna have to admit that I read Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords as
well as a couple other Hi-po Ford mags because I like to tinker with Gen-I
Lightnings(SWEET trucks!) and 5.0 Mustangs. I have also seen several
articles claining gains with these plugs, but I didn't see the 40hp claim.
My guess is that they probably had an engine on the dyno and baselined it.
Then, they added these plugs and "refigured" the settings(fuel pressure,map
sensor calibration,injector pulse width timing,ignition timing,etc) at the
same time. They probably "found" 40 hp and attributed it to these plugs. I
put a set in a '93 GT, I put most of it together- it's running a GT-40 Iron
head longblock, Cobra upper/lower intake, FMS F-303 cam, Vortech @ 9lbs,
stock computer(as in the factory 234,000 mile OE comp., no flashes, no
chips, STOCK!), 234,000 miles old T-5 and 8.8 w/3.73 gear, factory LS unit.
When we swapped plugs, autolites came out and the Denso went in. I could
tell a little difference with them, but you had to feel real hard to think
you gained anything. Dyno runs showed about +2 RWHP gain, So I felt pretty
good about how we had tuned it w/ autolites. Denso plugs were in about 3
weeks then I swapped back to autolites, -2 heat ranges from stock(can't
remember the number off the top of my head, sorry) I wouldn't expect to see
any gain in them on a NA engine. Stick with the cheap, tried and true
Autolites. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html