Clutch Replacement Questions?

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (rich.wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:32:22 EDT

I think I'm going to attempt replacing the clutch in my NV3500. I've never
done a clutch before, so I'm looking for advice from anyone who has replaced
one. Here are a couple questions I have.

1. Does the transmission need to be removed, or can it just be slid back
and tilted down to do the replacement? I guess this would be as good a
place as any to ask just how heavy that sucker is too?

2. Is there a decent throw-out bearing available that doesn't sound like a
can of loose ball-bearings? I'm thinking about purchasing a Centerforce
clutch. If they have a decent bearing to go along with the clutch, I'll
just get theirs.

3. I suppose its a good idea to replace the pressure plate along with the
clutch. Would this be correct?

4. I also suppose its a good idea to resurface the flywheel also. Would
this also be correct?

I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations. Like I said, this is the
first clutch replacement I will be attempting.

Thanks,
Rich - Ashburn, VA