Is it the fuel pump or the gas?

From: Matt Erikson (eaten_by_limestone@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 07:14:59 EST

Yesterday morning I had half a tank. I put 12 gallons
in at the local gas station. Then I drove apporx 40
miles to work. All was fine.

When driving home, I started loosing power on the
Interstate. It even backfired. Then power would come
back! I pulled over to a gas station and checked
everything out as much as I could. I was hoping it
wasn't a timing problem. Everything seemed to check
out... nothing obvious was wrong. Ran through the
general troubleshooting... Air... yep, Spark... yep,
cause it would fire and turn over... Fuel... seemed to
be getting it, but it also seemed to be the only thing
that would be giving me these problems. Well, I
bought a can of starter fluid and a can of dry gas (or
the closest thing the gas station had to it.) and
nursed it back another 20-30 miles. Then it stopped
dead about 2 miles from my house.

I got my neighbor to come out and help me with the
truck. We took off the fuel filter, it was clear.
There was a lot of pressure in front of the filter.
We then checked the rails. We were able to bleed off
a lot of pressure. Then we tried to pump the pressure
back up. It would not go back up. So we figured fuel
pump.

I didn't hear the pump going when the key was turned.

Are there any known problems with the wireing of the
fuel system on a Gen II Dak? Before I drop the tank I
figured I would run the senario by you folks and look
for some opinions. I just find it strange that the
problems would start about 40 miles after I filled up.
 It probbaly woukld take that long for the fuel in the
lines to be replaced with the bad fuel. Then the
truck would run intermittantly for the next 30 miles
or so.

Please help.

Matt