how bad are the stock rockers?

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@starpower.net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 21:07:11 EST

Hey guys,

    I'm pretty sure that my roller rockers need to be re-adjusted. I'm
getting a loud ticking sound, and I've never re-adjusted them since I built
the engine. I've got about 8,000 miles on the rebuild right now. Is it
normal to have to re-adjust aluminum rockers periodically? If so, then thats
leads to my next question.....

    How bad are the stock rockers? I've been thinking about this since I
realized that my rockers need to be re-adjusted. Also, since my rollers are
aluminum, they may need periodic adjustment. I don't want to be re-adjusting
them every other oil change, and I don't think the stock rockers would cost
me any more than 5-10hp. I did some research and found out the the 380hp/360
Mopar crate engine uses the same stock rockers and pushrods that our engines
leave the factory with, and it has a more radical cam (288/292 duration,
.501/.513 lift) than my Comp Cams cam (260/264 duration, .512/.512 lift),
therefore a higher powerband. The valvesprings they use are about the same
specs also (mine have 120lbs seat pressure, 310 open... theirs have 140lbs
seat pressure, and 290 open). Why wouldn't the stock rockers be good enough
for my engine if they're good enough for the crate engine?

--
Doug Myers