Pulled a 3.1 code today

From: Car37 (englehart@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 00:22:46 EST

My gas mileage has been shot since I installed the body lift on the
truck and today I pulled a 31 code,

Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative
emission system operation. *
or
An open or shorted condition detected in the duty cycle purge solenoid
circuit. *

So I started to check out that problem and discovered the two are
related, it seems when I had the problem with the cab mount and had to
take apart my right fender to get at the nut for the body mount I missed
tying up my hoses going to canister. Where do lose hoses go of course,
across the exhaust manifold and melted off. The gas mileage is most
likely from a vacuum leak and the canister most likely has not been
purged since July and the truck did not run August or September so the
gas has been just collecting there.

I have two questions, how bad is this for my canister? I have almost
7000Km or about 4200 miles since the lift and almost 3 months while the
transmission was being repaired and when I found time to reinstall it.
The truck seems to run good but my gas mileage 16 or 17 and is now 11 to
12. I will be replacing the hoses tomorrow.

Second question is how bad is this for the engine? I will see if I get
some recovery on my mileage over Christmas travels. Should rack up
another 4000Km over this holiday, I do way to much driving and thats not
including my daily drive to work good for 140Km a day, but that is on
the car.

--

Shawn Englehart return email: englehart@sympatico.ca http://www.geocities.com/englehrt http://www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/Yfz3JVR3VIJnE/profile.htm