Re: More 4.7L cooling issues

From: Jason Banta (jason.banta@louisville.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 09:52:13 EST

I have had mine for about 6 months and have put over 11,000 miles on it, with no cooling problems. I even spent one whole day in 4wd climbing a bunch of mountains in southern IN. Although I have not messed with the thermostat or anything else, the truck is still in stock condition.

Jason

>>> gwbower@hotmail.com 12/11/01 09:29AM >>>
Are cooling problems common wih the 4.7?

<SEMIHEMI01@aol.com> wrote in message news:161.56d03bb.294746c8@aol.com...
> Will,
> You sound like you have a coolant flow problem for some weird reason.
It
> sounds like the thermostat is not actually opening up completely. The 4.7
> water pump developes a good head pressure and at higher rpms it may be
> forcing the t'stat open. I had a RobertShaw that gave me trouble, So I
> changed to a Stant. ALSO, I drilled a 1/32" hole in the rim of the
thermostat
> to guarantee that it would never get an air pocket at the t'stat. By
placing
> this tiny hole at the top all air can bypass the t'stat.
> The 4.7 uses a crossflow cooling system and the thermostat uses a
bypass
> system for a more even warmup period, which just complicates the problem.
The
> flow direction is also different due to the crossflow system. When I first
> replaced mine, I was confused because the t'stat looked like it was in
> backwards from the factory. The purpose of the bypass was to give the
> aluminum heads an even temp when the thermostat did actually open.
> I don't know if all this crap helps you but I do know the 4.7 reacts
> different from the other MOPARS. Bill
>
> SEMIHEMI01@AOL.COM> KB SuperChargeded, 4.7L, 2001, QC,
> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/semihemi01">the "DAK",</A> <A

HREF="http://futuresite.register.com/jump?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsouthernmopar.org