Re: High-mileage dakotas?? (Will)

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 02:04:13 EST

Bob, good for you! I too spend a lot of time cleaning my truck. I just seem
to have really bad luck with it. Just this semester of school, I've had the
following things happen in this order:
#1)Hood whacked in 3 places w/ piece of pipe
#2)got forced into a construction zone on the side of the freeway by a
transfer truck-no damage, but it got real dirty in the mud
#3)Keyed on left front fender
#4)hit&run(while it was parked and I was in class),left small dent and some
paint on rear bumper
#5)Keyed on left bedside and hood
#6)hit&run again on rear bumper-looks like they had a 2wd w/a cow catcher on
it from the marks
#7)Was driving down a highway and a concrete truck passed me going the other
way and dropped a large chunk of concrete that busted on my windsheild. It
busted the windsheild and scratched the paint up where the smaller pieces
hit the roof and bed. The gravel coming off of the back of his truck was
bouncing on the road and pecked up my front grille,bumper,valence, and
busted both foglight lenses
#8)Center caps for my 15X8 factory wheels that I had painted the ram's head
to match were stolen
#9)All 4 tires deflated-not cut,just deflated. this happened on 3 occasions
and I wasn't the only one in the lot to get hit
#10)Left the truck at home and rode my bicycle to work. Stepmother insisited
that the truck be moved. Well, my truck won't go in dad's driveway becasue
my truck is lowered and the driveway is a large incline. I told her this,
she didn't listen and proceeded to try and drive the truck on to the
driveway, dragging the front valence, swaybar, forward rear spring hangers,
and trailer hitch on the pavement. She then decided it wasn't going to go
when it got stuck on the trailer hitch and proceeded to back down and do the
same thing.
#11)only paved entrance to my afternoon class had been blocked, forcing me
to drive through a mudhole to get to class(it was an AG class and I was the
only person driving a 2wd!!)-that was really hard to clean off of the
undercarriage!!
#12)came out of class and cranked the truck up to go home, rested my foot on
the brake pedal and it started to move down. I got out and checked and
somebody had opened both front bleeder screws!! I was losing fluid out of
them and that's why I had no master cylinder resistance.

I work real hard to keep my truck neat and clean and in really nice shape,
but it seems to get vandalized/messed up faster than I can clean and fix it.
I wish i had a garage so that I could work on it at night, but I don't. I
too, clean underneath the truck feverishly. In fact, my undercarriage/engine
compartment is in much better shape than the actual paint finish/exterior of
my truck. I catch crap all the time about how well I care for my truck, but
it makes me feel good, so screw 'em! I have to park in a parking lot at the
university, but I always park in a space where I'm protected on 3 sides and
well away from the lines, but it doesn't seem to help. Oh well, what can you
do?? Get a beater to drive all the time and put the truck away-that kind of
defeats the purpose of having a newer vehicle that is reliable and I take
care of, right? Oh yeah,if you find a shrink that will treat this condition,
please refer me, I might need help. Hopefully my truck will be completely
fixed/cleaned back up during christmas break. I've got a new hood to go on
it(Reflexxion) and the whole truck will likely be re-cleared at the same
time. Now I've just gotta buy a new windsheild and foglights to go with it.
TTYL,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 Reg. cab 2wd, 4.7L/NV3500HD/9.25" 3.92 sure-grip