engine compression.

From: Aaron Gasparich (acg302@ptd.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 21:41:20 EST

Well, i'm finally assembling my engine. But i'm trying to figure out what
compession i need to up to to match my hughes 1418 cam. I know that huges
says it need to be at 165psi. if normal air is at about 14.5psi@sea level
than 165 translates to about 11:1, is this true? I think I could figure it
all out on my own if i knew the deck height of a 318, but since i
dont(neither does the machine shop) I have to pose the question. Is the
stock 9.2:1 compression ok on this cam, or will i have to mill the head a
few thousandths to achieve a higher compression and the benifits of the cam.
does anybody know the deck height of the 318? I feel a little bit lost here
when it come to the compression part of an engine. And if i need to shave
the heads, does anybody have an idea as to how much i need to take off?
Thanks to everybody for the help
-Aaron