Re: engine compression.

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 02:40:01 EST

Aaron, the nominal deck height of a standard 318 Magnum is 9.595". It is the
same for the Magnum 360's and the 3.9L V6 Magnum as well. It scares me that
you're using a machine shop that doesn't even know the deck height on the
engine they're machining for, but oh well. As far as milling the heads, I'm
not sure what you'd need to take off the heads to acheive your desired
compression ratio. Best I remember, Magnum heads are 60cc chambers. It's not
an exact formula, but as a general rule of thumb for every CC you remove
from the combustion chamber, you can add one point to your compression
ratio(EX: 60cc head with a CR of 9.4:1, take it down to 58cc's and the CR
jumps to 9.6:1). Now, as for your compression ratio figures- the formula you
used is not right. The actual compression formula requires some specific
measurements and a long equation. I'd tell you to ask the machine shop to
help you figure it, but I doubt they'd know how after the deck height thing.
If you want to figure it out by yourself, let me know and I'll write up the
formula and you can try and find the measurements needed. The 165 psi figure
they gave you is cylinder pressure, not compression. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 Reg. cab 2wd, 4.7L/NV3500HD/9.25" 3.92 sure-grip