Voided warranty? HELP

From: Jason Yates (onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 09:20:30 EST

I took my truck into the local dealer (just moved, so didn't
know squat about 'em) to get a antifreeze leak repaired. I
think it must be a waterpump or thermostat gasket--not sure and
didn't have time to crawl around to look. I have an extended
warranty (to 60K) so I just thought I'd let the Dodge take care
of it. Well, first thing the service writer says to me when he
sees my truck is that I've voided the warranty--I've got a two
inch body lift, 32" tires, and a custom prerunner bumper, among
other things, with nothing major done to the engine. I ended up
leaving the truck with him, with him saying "we'll see what we
can do" and "if its not covered, you'll owe $32.50 an hour" or
whatever. I was naturally annoyed, so when I got home I called
the Chrysler warranty customer service number. I did come out
and tell them what I had done to the truck, but the customer
service agent did say that simply running bigger tires voids the
warranty! What?!? Can anybody help me defend my position that
the things I've done to my truck should not void my warranty?
Isn't there a law protecting my rights to alter my vehicle
(within certain limits, of course)? Anybody know?

Thanks!

=====
Later,
JY
Fairborn, OH '98 CC 5.2L 5spd 4x4 w/prerunner bumper
Pics -- http://photos.yahoo.com/onebad4x4dak