timing chain/gear-drive questions (last time I PROMISE)

From: Wes Weems (wweems@fix.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 02:30:42 EST

I got a 1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Sport with a 3.9l v6...
At idle it sounds somewhat similar to a badly running turbo diesel, whereas
the clattering doesnt appear to be consistent... I am aware my truck does
not have the chain tensioner, and I am willing to order it, but I got the
following questions

1) would the slack that is currently causing my truck to sound like
clattering be slack enough to retard, or advance my timing enough to change
the performance of my truck

2) I havent seen the tensioner, but it seems kinda hokey, and have
considered going gear-drive... I dont mind the noise/whine, so long as it
runs great and isnt TOO bad... I dont mind a little whine...

I got 70k miles or so on my truck and want to get the best performance out
of it that I can... I recently had the heads off and the valves and
cylinders look great, and other than that damn engine noise the truck is in
great condition

THANKS ahead of time for your guys help

Big Wes