Hello Dakota Owners

From: Paul Brino (campman2@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 14:42:13 EST

I am writing you to tell you I own a 1999 Solar Yellow 4x4 Dakota. I
purchased this vehicle from Scotia Motors, NY. The funny thing about the
truck was that it was my neighbors. But, anyway, I am having trouble with
the truck, specifically the transmission. Scotia Motors has had the truck
for the fifth time and is rebuilding and reclutching the transmission.
Should I be scared? I live on top of a very steep mountain plus, I drive to
work everyday on the New York State Thruway. Here are my symptons:
1. The truck seems to bang into the gears.
2. Sometimes the truck shifts into overdrive and sometimes it dosn't.
3. When I try to pass a car the truck shifts into the passing gear and
sometimes it doesn't. Happens alot when its cold.
4. When I am driving up a hill the truck will shift and then shift back very
quickly? This has only happened four times.

Scotia Motors has done the following:

First Trip: Lubricated the shifter?
Second Trip: The pump box was leaking. Refilled and sealed.
Third Trip: There was a cooling system leak and the transmission was
not shifting because of temperature.
Fourth Trip: Electrical problem. Also, there was a computer update
preformed.
Fifth Trip: Rebuilding the transmission and re clutching.

The truck only has 18,000 miles and was babied by the previous owner. The
guy had a heartattack and didn't drive the truck for six months.

Paul Brino
Scotia, NY