Re: 5 Speed Trans swap

From: TonyC (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 20:21:32 EST

Some additional info for anyone interested in this potential swap.

When I was initially working out the plans for my 98 5.2 Sport drivetrain
upgrades, I was considering a swap to the NV4500. I have since decided on a
worked 727 to handle the expected power output of my S/C 408 which will be
used mainly at the dragstrip. But while the NV4500 was still a candidate
for the project I spent some time on the phone with several of the guys at
Blumenthal, both of whom were very knowledgeable/helpful, The std NV3500 is
rated for 350 ft/lbs, the NV4500 for 450 ft/lbs, etc. The NV4500 can be
beefed up, and accessorized in several ways if you care to have them build
you a unit. The input shafts can be upgraded to the V10 or the Cummins
diesel part, both larger/heavier duty, but this will require a different
clutch so that they fit the input shaft. Also several gera ratio sets are
available, so you may be able to get a set that better suits you. Also note
that the NV4500 is about 100 lbs heavier. The NV3500 slave cylinder will
work, I was not able to positively determine if the shifters will use the
same hole, but was able to determine that the NV3500 & Nv4500 use the same
shift boots/holes on the Ram, so they will probably not require modification
in that area.

Hope this helps anyone who may be interested in the swap over.

TonyC