5 Speed Trans swap

From: jdharmon@earthlink.net
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 13:39:50 EST

After attempting this with a NV3500, I would be very careful. The
NV3500 can not handle more than 300 foot lbs. torque max. It will bind
up badly and you will never get it right.

The NV4500 would be a good choice for this application. It bolts right
up to the V8 and V6 engines, very tall first gear, 5.91, but the
overdrive is still excellent. The best choice would be a 6 speed. This
gives you the low end romp while still having the top end mileage and
driveability. Make sure whatever transmission you use, that it can
handle up to twice the horsepower and torque that you are putting out.

The 5 speed V8 computer will work fine (I have a 5 speed 97 PCM also
available) as will the engine harness. The ABS/speedo sensor situation
will have to be worked out since the newer Daks use the ABS wheel
sensors for speedo calculation while the 97 used the actual gear in the
extension housing.

You might want to try Blumenthals Heavy Duty in Oklahoma
(http://www.blumenthalmfg.com). They charge around $1400 for a NV4500
complete plus flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. You will also
have to ream out the rear of the crank to fit the pilot bearing in it.
Plus some time on the transmission tunnel with a ball peen hammer to
allow fit of the trans and fab up custom trans mounts.

Otherwise, it should work. just don't try the NV3500 5 speed. It
cannot handle the power. Good luck

Jim Harmon
DACUDA