Re: 89 Dakota 3.9L

From: Silver89 (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 18:25:56 EST

Hiyas Gus... I have done extensive research on engine swaps and Gen I trucks.
I have two 1989 Daks. I too needed a replacement engine in my 89 4x4. I
wanted to upgrade to a newer engine, but found out it would take quite a bit to
do it. To install a new Magnum engine, you would need to replace the fuel
pump, all the wires in the truck pretty much. You would need to use a set up
from any Magnum Dakota before the 1997 year. This is because the instrument
clusters are differnet and there are compatibility issues there.

You would also need to make sure you get the engine computer. From a Dakota
with only rear wheel anti lock brakes.

There is quite a bit involved as you can see. I ended up having a stock
rebuilt premag engine put in. I needed transportationand didn't have the time
or money to invest in a lengthy and costly engine swap. Plus I have better
plans for my 4x4 heheh.

Don't bother trying to put magnum heads and intakes on a premag engine. Or try
adapting MPFI set ups to the old premag. Its just not worth the trouble. The
heads and manifold are not compatible. (Thus the difference between the LA
blocks (premaggers) and Magnum engines) Chrysler change the bolt patterns for
the mags.

--

"That one has a strange blue neon thing... I'm guessing theres cocane up there" - Eddie Vedder

Tom (Silver98) http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/

webmaster@savechrysler.com www.savechrysler.com

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow