Re: How to drive a 4X4

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 00:06:52 EST

Puddlestompa@aol.com wrote:

> I just got a new truck recently 2000 4.7L 4x4 auto, and have a few
> questions as I did not get a manual.
> Do you have to (or is it a good idea to) roll back when you disengage the
> 4x4 system like old trucks?

Sometimes. I've never had to do it but sometimes the 4WD may "catch" and
not release back to 2WD for a couple minutes. Supposedly rolling backwards
will unlock it right away.

> Are you not supposed to go over a certain speed when you are in 4 wheel
> drive, if so does it differ for 4lo and 4hi?

IMO, if you need 4WD, you shouldn't be going fast in the first place. You
can shift into 4HI at up to 55 MPH, but you shouldn't be doing 55 if you
need 4WD.

4LO I think you're limited to 25 MPH. With the 2.72:1 ratio in low-range,
the 2000 RPMs that I turn at 70 MPH in 2WD/4HI would be 5440 RPM in 4LO.

> Being Shift on the Fly, what speed so I be going and do I have to be
> moving?

You can go to 4HI stopped if you're in Neutral. For 4LO, procedure is in
the FAQ under Transmission & Gears.

If you can give me a couple days, I can scan the 4WD portions of the manual
for you if you like. Drop me an email direct (off-list).

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com