Re[2]: How to drive a 4X4

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 09:47:42 EST

Andy's covered this pretty well but I thought I'd chime in with a couple of
things...

1. If you have the part-time 4wd system (NV 231 T-Case) do not operate it on
dry pavement or, more precisely, do not operate it in high traction conditions.
It will cause the driveline to bind and lead to nasty problems.
2. You still need to put her in reverse every now and again to disengage the
system. I'm not positive but I think it's caused by minimal driveline binding
and is not a problem.
3. 4-Lo is for crawling up and over things. I don't think I've ever gone over
5 mph in 4-Lo. To engage it you must be at a full stop, the transmission should
be in neutral, and do not pause when you shift down into 4-Lo.

Other than that, have a blast! 4-wheeling is truly the balls!
Tom