Re: Fluid changes

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 11:20:07 EST

At 07:42 AM 1/18/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm planning to put synthetic fluids into my truck as it finally as 10,000
>Km on it. I want to change the tranny, diffs, and crankcase. In the
>crankcase I will use Mobil1 as I can get that locally at a few places and
>don't need to order it every time I want to change the oil. As for the
>others, I want to use Amsoil. On Amsoil's site, they say "AMSOIL gear oils
>are formulated with friction modifiers for limited slip differential
>applications. There is no need to add limited slip or additional additives"
>(http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/index.htm). Is this true? Which
>of the gear lubes should I use? 75W-90, 80W-90? 85W-140? Anyone know what
>the difference between the regular and "Series 2000" lubes are?

No limited slip or additional additives needed. I had the Amsoil 75W-90
put in at the same time I had the 3.92 gears installed two years ago. No
problems
on the street or on the strip. I'm not familiar with the Series 2000 lubes.

>Looks like Amsoil only has one ATF so that is easy to figure out. If anyone
>can help out with the gear lube I would really appreciate it.
>
>Also, when I change the gear lube, is it necessary to take off the cover and
>remove the oil or can I just drain and fill? Thanks, Mike.

There's no drain plug in the cover so you'll need something to suck the
gear lube
out. If you want to clean out any metal shavings, you'll have to take off
the cover.
HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,075 lb (racing weight)
RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: 14.313 95.05 mph