Fluid changes

From: Mike (spammikeREMOVE@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 10:42:40 EST

I'm planning to put synthetic fluids into my truck as it finally as 10,000
Km on it. I want to change the tranny, diffs, and crankcase. In the
crankcase I will use Mobil1 as I can get that locally at a few places and
don't need to order it every time I want to change the oil. As for the
others, I want to use Amsoil. On Amsoil's site, they say "AMSOIL gear oils
are formulated with friction modifiers for limited slip differential
applications. There is no need to add limited slip or additional additives"
(http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/index.htm). Is this true? Which
of the gear lubes should I use? 75W-90, 80W-90? 85W-140? Anyone know what
the difference between the regular and "Series 2000" lubes are?

Looks like Amsoil only has one ATF so that is easy to figure out. If anyone
can help out with the gear lube I would really appreciate it.

Also, when I change the gear lube, is it necessary to take off the cover and
remove the oil or can I just drain and fill?

Thanks,
Mike

2001 Dakota 4.7L, 4X4, Auto, LSD