Re: doing a little whinning

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 21:10:00 EST

The rear differential has been replaced on my '99 Dakota 4x4 as well. Last
spring at the end of a 400-mile trip is when the diff bearings went out on
mine. I had it towed to the dealer after it suddenly started making buzzing
noises. The differential carrier literally fell out when they took the diff
cover off!! This happened shortly after the truck hit 36,000 miles, but
fortunately I bought a Chrysler extended warranty ("added care" I think?)
prior to the trip and I only had to pay the $50 deductible. While it was in
the shop, they noticed the upper and lower balljoints were on their way out
(3rd time!!!), water pump leaking (3rd time), and also the front
differential was about to fall off (loose bolts). The tech told me the
newer ('00+?) Daks had a recall on the front diff, but he's seen lots of
other GenIII Daks with the loose bolts as well. As for the rear diff - he
said it was more common on Jeeps, but nothing unusual in the Daks/Rams
either.

Right now I don't think I'll buy another DC product either, seeing how my
Dakota has been fairly troublesome throughout its whole life. Good thing I
got that extended warranty! Kinda weird though, we have 2 Jeeps and a
Plymouth Acclaim V6 in the family and all 3 of those have been *VERY*
faithful vehicles...

Has anyone else experienced differential and ball joint problems?

Darren Asuncion
Fairbanks, AK
'99 Intense Blue, CC, Sport+, 4x4, 5.2 V8, 44RE auto, 3.55lsd (8.25"),
4wheel ABS, 31" BFG All-terrain KO's
http://www.geocities.com/dakotaguy1999/