Computer Codes

From: John (jkp_61@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 13:07:52 EST

  This is probably old hat to most of you, but I am
not sure of the computer systems on the newer
vehicles. When I started working on cars they still
had points, but I do prefer the electronic ignitions
and the newer computer systems have definitely
improved over when they first started in the early
80's. Anyway my questions are: 1; does my '96 Dakota
4X4 Sport 3.9l 5spd have the OBDI or OBDII? and 2; How
do you access the codes? I know on the earlier
Chrysler products w/f.i. all you had to do was cycle
the key 3 times, but that doesn't seem to work on my
truck. Do you need a code reader or is there some
other method? Thanks for any help on these matters.

=====
Take Care & Keep On Truckin'~~~~John