Re: Hurst Arrived - Install/Road Report

From: Robert Schultz (robert_schultz@sympatico.killspammers.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 08:48:55 EST

I guess all you guys were doin' the Superowl thing so I'm answering myself.

Decided to tackle the trim without a heads up.

Found out it wasn't too hard, and that the dealer or the stereo installed
had already broken one of the mounts for the trim and center console. Spent
a few minutes making a new washer to span the gap. Everything is tight
again.

And the shifter! Why WOULDN'T you put one of these in?

It's taller, so it sits closer to hand, and it is about half the shift throw
of the stock shifter. (I should have measured this before and after). And
it's crisp.

I few things that have been mentioned before, but bear repeating are:

1. Way more engine/driveline hoise.
Theres a thick rubber gasket between the stock shift tower and the tranny.
Nothing but a thin fiber gasket with the Hurst. And there's a soft isolator
bushing on the ball of the stock shifter and it's metal to metal with the
Hurst. I tried it with the Hurst shift knob (hard platic) and then replaced
it with the stock shift knob. That quieted things down.

2. CRISP shifting.
What a difference. Shifts are far quicker as I'm not afraid I'm going to
miss it. The mushy feeling is gone. I've discovered what happens when you
get past half throttle.:-)

3. It sure isn't hard.
I was careful, and taking my time, and it took an hour and ten minutes.
Torque wrench is a must though. Wouldn't want to strip the bolts in the cast
tranny housing.

4. It was way cheaper to order from the US and have shipped to Canada.
$177USD + 20 Shipping = ~$320CDn. Cheapest I found it locally was $462! One
shop wanted $560 CDN.

Rob S.
2000 QC, 4.7l 5spd, Hurst Competition Plus.

""Robert Schultz"" <robert_schultz@sympatico.killspammers.ca> wrote in
message news:a3h0sp$jh5$1@bent.twistedbits.net...