Did some work today on the Dak!

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 02:50:04 EST

First of all let me get this off my chest.... Its been way too long since my
last oil change. So to help clean out the engine I drained the ooold oil,
put on a cheap filter, refilled with new oil ran the engine for a few
minutes added a oil flush and ran the engine for 5 more minutes then
drained. Refilled with Mobil 1 and a larger filter (Mobil 1 M1-301). While
under the truck I noticed the hoses for the oil cooler not looking so good.
I removed the sandwich for the cooler till I can take care of the hoses.

Removed the K&N air filter to clean and dry.

Moved to the rear of the truck. Removed the old gear oil from the rear end
cleaned out and had a good time getting the RTV sealant all over the place.
I even got some on the rear end to seal it shut. Let it cure while I was
done with the rest of my truck work before I refilled with Mobil 1 gear
fluid and K&W Posi Trac stuff.

Back to the front, Replaced the old Autolite 3923's with new ones. The #8
cylinder is still a pain in the butt. Found water down in the hole that the
plus in? top of 3 plugs had rust for water on them. The rubber O-rings on
the on plug coils starting to look worn. I think the water is from the worn
O-rings leaking. Next time I'm at the dealer I find out about new ones.

The TB was the next on the list. Removed it and cleaned reinstalled and
adjusted the TPS voltage to 0.073.

Oiled the K&N air filter and reinstalled.

Put in the Mobil 1 gear fluid and K&W Posi Trac stuff in the rear end.

Went to the Doc's with the wife and then out for dinner. The idle was
running high at about 1200rpm all the time driving to the doc's and dinner.
I was starting to think I put in the TPS with it miss lined on the TB blade.
After dinner the Idle was back down where it should be for the ride home and
later coming to work. I did have the battery unhooked for all of this work
after the oil change. Maybe the PCM had to relearn.

OOOHH NO I spotted oil dripping under the truck? A fast look under the truck
and looks like is coming from the oil filter area. Check it out in the
morning when I got home from work :(

All this work at 28180 miles. Other then the cooling system flush and tranny
service Think I'm all set for a while.

On a side note I found Mobil 1 5/30 weight at Wall-Mart in 5 quart jugs at
about $1 a quart cheaper the buying it in 1 quart bottles. These jugs have a
large opening on them. I'm going to save them to return the old oil in.

--
Don Mallett