Re: How do you paint diamond-plate aluminum box?

From: Paul Bullerman (hemi287@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 18:09:40 EST

You wont need a wash primer or aluminum conditioner if you dont take it down
to bare metal. And you dont need to unless there is alot of rust or
corrosion on it. If it is a good quality box, then it should already have
the phosphate coating under the original primer. So I wouldnt break through
unless you have to.

I would sand the surface, lightly, all you need is an "edge" for the primer
to adhere to. Thouroghly clean it with wax and grease remover.
Use a self-etching primer approved for galvanized steel and aluminum. Spray
only 1-2 medium coats, if you want the diamonds to show, but make sure it
covers well.
Follow the dry times and then spray the paint.
HTH
Boog