Re: dml:re:working at a parts store (kinda long-sorry)

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 23:26:21 EST

> Example of the Autolite Spark plugs,
> not everyone catalogs their parts the same way, even
> if the mfg gives it a part number, it doesn't mean the
> parts store will use it to catalog it into their
> system. And most of the young guys don't know how to
> use the catalogs, you know it's the computer era! And
> you mention a Chevy 380 race engine, well it didn't
> start out as a 380, it was a factory c.i. to begin
> with, so you could have been more helpful.
You would think a counter employee could just go in the stock room and get
the Autolite 51s without having to ask what kind of car it is.
As for the 380, he was told it was a RACE CAR first. That should have clued
him into realizing he is not going to have it in his computer.
Plus, they don't have catalogs or cross reference books. (At least that's
what they say) Besides, if they did have a cross reference book, what would
they do? The book would thell them to get Autolite #51s! Now you are right
back to where you started. The make, model, year, engine, etc is moot. The
customer wanted Autolite 51s and company policy says without a specific
application that is listed in the computer, they can't sell it to you. Yet,
in the same store, you can get an air filter, oil filter, wiper blade, etc
by taking it off the shelf without saying what kind of car it goes in.
And, that engine block has not and never will see the light of day in a
factory production vehicle. It is cast for use as a race engine. There is
little similarity to the production block. Same with the heads. Completely
different. You have it bored to the bore size you want in connection with
the crank throw and rod length to make anything from a 355 to a 434. You
could even de-stroke it for smaller cubes.

AZ's reason for that may be tort driven-they may be afraid of lawsuits
stemming from misused parts. I could understand that, but if that is the
case, why can you buy things off the shelf?
Sorry for ranting about this, but if the guy at the NAPA, Federated, Car
Quest, etc can just go in back and get them, why can't the Zoners?
The customer in question has an uncle who was fired from an Auto Zone for
giving the customer what he asked for (SB Chebby plug wires) without using
the computer. The guy had only been a parts store manager for 20 years, so
it's not like he was an inexperienced rookie. His Auto Zone career lasted
all of two days.

Give the customer what they want, and you'll have a happy customer.

I think I've beaten this horse to death, I'm done!

Jon
STL MO