Venting!! (sorry, kinda long)

From: jkp (jkp61@horizonview.net)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 13:32:16 EDT

     I can't believe my friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer! They are so
helpful>NOT!!! I bought a set of Gen III rims at the Chrysler Classic this
weekend, but they needed center caps. The place that mounted them for me had
wheels from a Ram and the center caps fit(but naturally wouldn't sell
separately). Ray is checking with his source to see about getting me a set,
but I figured while I was in town I would check with the local dealer since
I just had them mounted. They start hem-hawing around and tell me "Sorry, we
can't look them up without a VIN#!" I told them that I can't give them a
VIN# cause they aren't off of my truck and they aren't even off of the same
truck because 2 of the rims were new! They said, well we don't know what
will fit then. They had several Dakotas on the lot with the same type wheel
and cap, so I asked about those and was told "Don't know about the size". No
offer to help or nothing. I said to just forget it and started to leave, but
since I was pissed I asked for the Mgr. They brought me the owner and I go
through the story with him. I told him that I've worked on cars for 25 years
and in parts for 6yrs and there is always a way to find something. It may
not be the easiest, but there is always a way! I told him this is a real
good way to push customers out the door and that I know this is a simple
thing, but if they can't help me with that then I sure don't want them to
help me with something difficult!! So he gets the parts mgr and he goes
through the same deal that their stuff is really vague and how dealer parts
are different than aftermarket and maybe they could get a # off the rim, but
they really can't help me w/o a VIN#. I told them just forget it, I'll find
them somewhere else, and I won't be back. Some places are so helpful these
days. Sorry, had to let off some steam, I 've even got a # now off of the
back of the cap that fit, but I'll be damned if I give it to them. They
would probably just tell me they couldn't use it anyway. Might have to look
in a book to cross-reference something or, Oh My God, What's a BOOK!
   On the good side the Gen III wheels look GREAT!! on my '96 Dakota and the
truck handles a lot better with the wider rims. The tread is also riding
flat instead of rounded now and it doesn't feel like I'm going down the road
in shoes that are too big.
Take Care & Keep On Truckin'~~~~~John
    <<'96 Dakota Sport 4x4, 3.9L 5spd>>