Re: CB Questions

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 22:59:20 EDT

> So I'm thinking handheld, what kind of
> range do they get?
Forget hand held. BTDT. Reception stinks, transmit is worse. 1/4 to 1/2
mile-when it's quiet.
Go to your local CB shop and get a Uniden 40 ch unit. The bare bones one.
Small-maybe 5" wide 2-1/2 " tall and 5" deep. Then have them tune it up. All
the dump truckers here use them. For an antenna, get a Lil Wil model from
Wilson. It is a magnet mount that won't come off at 100-I have one. You
might have 100 bucks or so tied up, but you'll have a unit that will
actually work on ch 19 with all the noise.
Where to mount it is up to you.
I have a Cobra 148 model with sideband (and freeband channels...shhhh). It's
huge, as it's actually a base unit. Mounted on a hump mount with external
speaker and a SWR/power meter combo, it looks like a console. With the power
mic and 40 watts (shhh) it WILL be heard.
I would also reccomend an external speaker of some kind, as the internal
speakers are tinny and audio is poor.
HTH

Jon
STL MO