RE: CB Questions

From: tmfu (tmfu@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 23:57:37 EDT

> the dump truckers here use them. For an antenna, get a Lil Wil model from
> Wilson. It is a magnet mount that won't come off at 100-I have one. You
> might have 100 bucks or so tied up, but you'll have a unit that will
> actually work on ch 19 with all the noise.

The Li'l Wil can handle a 132mph wind (tested at Nazareth Raceway(I forgot
to take it off during a time trial))

> Where to mount it is up to you.

Placed a Teaberry Stalker II Export on my GenII under where the ashtray is.

> I have a Cobra 148 model with sideband (and freeband
> channels...shhhh).

Did you replace the MC873x chip with an MC8719?

> It's huge, as it's actually a base unit. Mounted on a hump mount with
external
> speaker and a SWR/power meter combo, it looks like a console.

Darn close! The Uniden Grant and Cobra 148GTL share the same chassis.

> With the power
> mic and 40 watts (shhh) it WILL be heard.

Ummm how did you get 40watts out the back of the unit? Or is that 40 when
you go SSB? Or do you have a warmer?? I doubt you can get 40 out of that
chassis. Even the President Jackson Export was hard pressed to get a 40 watt
deadkey and that had a big-assed final. Either way the 148GTL is one of the
last chassis that can be modded. Then again I still have a GE SSB unit that
has an O2A chip(with a BCD thumbwheel array). It has a +/-10kHz slider and
can go up to 10m and way down too. If you are driving a warmer then you
should be dead keying about 3-4watts unmodulated otherwise you'll sound like
crap because you are overdriving the box.

> I would also reccomend an external speaker of some kind, as the internal
> speakers are tinny and audio is poor.

Agreed. Plus in most installations the speaker is pointing toward the floor.

Greg
2k1 Dodge Neon ES
Rahway, NJ
http://kernelpanic.dyn.dhs.org