Re: Re: Re: Back to brakes

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 19:38:55 EDT

Hey, Eric!
<snip>where do I put the hose to bleed the brakes and when will I know that
they are good to go...I'm
assuming when nothing but brake fluid comes out and no air
bubbles...right?<snip>

Well, for starters, you DO have a clue, because - YES - you DO hafta get the
air bubbles out ...
First of all, I'd make sure that the bleeder screw is what's loose. Jack the
DAK up & remove the tire. The bleeder screw should have a small cap on it
which you should be able to remove by prying carefully under one side of it
with a flathead screwdriver.
You'll need to get a measurement on the head of the bleeder so you can get
the correct size tubing. Clear tubing is preferred for the bleeding
procedure, cuz ya can see the air bubbles passing thru it. Three feet is a
good length
You'll need a small boxwrench to fit on the bleeder screw. If It's loose -
that's your problem area. If it's not -I don't think I can help ya (from
Upstate NY!) without seeing it.
So let's say it's loose....TIGHTEN IT SNUGLY.
1. Open the hood & locate the master brake cylinder...it's a small
semi-transparent plastic reservoir with a black plastic top & a small cap &
should be on the driver side firewall. Remove the cap & pour some clean
brake fluid into the reservoir to fill it. DO NOT SPILL ANY BRAKE FLUID ON
PAINTED SURFACES! (or they won't have much paint left on em for long!)
2. Put the boxwrench on the bleeder screw & push the tubing over the head
of the bleeder.
3. Pour some clean brake fluid into a clear container, preferably a small
glass jar - baby food size works ok. & set the jar under the DAK & submerge
the other end of the tubing into the bottom of the jar. MAKE SURE THE TUBING
STAYS SUBMERGED!
4. Have your helper pump the brake pedal to see if pressure builds.
5. IF THE PRESSURE BUILDS (i.e. there's some resistance to his foot) have
him pump a couple of times until the resistance stops building, & then KEEP
HIS (HER) FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AT ALL TIMES !
6. Open the bleeder screw very slowly (& not very far!). His foot should
drop to the floor & air bubbles should pass thru the tubing & into the glass
jar.
7. Tighten the bleeder screw & look at the master cylinder & make sure
there's fluid in it - if not - add some. DO NOT LET IT EMPTY COMPLETELY!
8. Repeat steps #4 - #7 until no air passes thru the tubing.
If there aren't any other leaks, you should be all set!
HTH!

Bob Smith (Daksy2K on AIM)
2K DAKSY CC Sport +
3.9l; V6: 4X4
(1 of 980 2K DAKSYs mfrd)
For the mods,details, etc., visit us at:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

(ps, we're still working on it...
Susan on the page; me on the DAKSY! )