Re: New Meats

From: Robert Schultz (robert_schultz_remove@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 08:18:43 EDT

Kyle:

My current pick for wet traction has to be the Michelin CrossTerrain SUV,
but they are fairly expensive. I'd go on about handling and ride, but it's
unfair to compare the 275/55/17 to a 235/70/15. I do like them well enough
that I will be putting 235/75/15's on for the winter (which in Toronto is
turning into a lot more rain and a lot less snow each year).

I had a set of BF Goodrich T/A Touring on a 77 Olds 88 403. It also happened
to have lower gearing than the stock vehicle, so getting it moving in rain
required a deft touch. However, I don't remember any issues with braking in
the wet weather.

Although I would lean towards a light truck tire, the current generation of
Dak's with the tire & handling package do come with what's basically a car
tire (Goodyear Eagle L/S - also found on such 'trucks' as the Lincoln LS and
Olds Aurora).

Might be worth your while to look for brands that offer a 30-day exchange
just in case you decide you hate the new tires.

Rob S.

""Kyle Vanditmars"" <kylevan@telus.net> wrote in message

> Alright, gents, this lucky man received a gift from grandma for graduating
> high school and getting into university - a new set of tires for the Dak.
> Luckily she informed me of this previous to my graduation, so I could
smoke
> the current tires almost off. Hey, a guy's gotta show off once in a
while.
> :-) There was a tire discussion a while back that I looked through in the
> archives, but it mainly concerned wet traction and people complaining
about
> the lack of it on the stock Badyears, which aren't on the truck, so I'm
> going to start my own discussion.
>
> Firstly, and most definitely, I am in no way looking for off-road
traction,
> not only is the Dak 4x2, but also the most "off-road" this thing will
likely
> see is the dirt parking lot where I go mountain biking. Second, I won't
be
> hauling anything heavy on any sort of regular basis, so tires with a
"light
> truck" designation aren't required. Third, I live in Vancouver BC,
Canada.