Re: Videotaping the BBQ trail runs

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 22:47:10 EDT

Andy Levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:

: Lamely answering my own post...

: Yep, it'll work. Just about perfect, too. Front leg on the armrest,
: back legs on the back seat. Just need someone riding shotgun to hold it
: (unless we can tie it down somehow?). The lens will be right over my
: right shoulder, centered in the truck.

: This is gonna be so freakin' cool. Now I just need to find a
: videocamera to borrow for this stunt.

  Sounds like a good idea. :-) It would be nice if you could
tie it down it somehow - people can be so unreliable. ;-) Or if
you have someone riding with you, I suppose you could just have them
hold it, i.e.: http://www.dakota-truck.net/meet/dmlbbq03/video/jon06.mpg
Though I think it would be pretty cool to have the camera move with
the truck itself. :-)

  Hey, you know what would be cool is to take a piece of 2" square
tubing, and just have a piece that slips into the trailer hitch, then
goes up just above the roofline. (It would look like an "L" if you
viewed it from the left side of the truck.) That would have a camera
platform on the top, which would be slightly adjustable so you could aim
the camera down somewhat. That would be an interesting perspective. :-)
Might be a tad hard on the camera though. Maybe the platform could
be spring mounted. Dang, I wish I had thought of this before, or
I would have given it a shot!!! :-) Well, something to try for next
year... :-)

 Oh and while I'm on the subject of cameras, I spent some time getting
the webcam up and running. Due to having the cable modem, the interval
has been moved up to 1 per minute, and the pics will feed directly off
the shop PC. Even though I have cable modem now, I still don't have
a good enough feed for live video, but this should be pretty good.
I'd love to have the cameras out on the trails or at the mud pit, but
haven't thought of a cheap way to do that yet. (Though if we sit
around at night watching videos, I'll be sure to feed the webcam
from that, like I did last year.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'