Re: Videotaping the BBQ trail runs

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 23:16:18 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Sounds like a good idea. :-)

Tell that to my wallet. Guess what I've been shopping for the past hour
online. Camcorders :)

> It would be nice if you could
> tie it down it somehow - people can be so unreliable. ;-)

There's no good tiedown points that I can find. Besides, having a
passenger adds to the atmosphere - "what are you doing!? are you nuts!
  You're gonna get us killed!"

> Though I think it would be pretty cool to have the camera move with
> the truck itself. :-)

That was kind of the idea. Give the viewer the exact same experience
people in the truck get - bouncing and everything.

> Hey, you know what would be cool is to take a piece of 2" square
> tubing, and just have a piece that slips into the trailer hitch, then
> goes up just above the roofline. (It would look like an "L" if you
> viewed it from the left side of the truck.) That would have a camera
> platform on the top, which would be slightly adjustable so you could aim
> the camera down somewhat. That would be an interesting perspective. :-)
> Might be a tad hard on the camera though. Maybe the platform could
> be spring mounted. Dang, I wish I had thought of this before, or
> I would have given it a shot!!! :-) Well, something to try for next
> year... :-)

I'll let you do that with *your* camera, Jon. My electronics stay
safely within the confines of the cab. Which reminds me...I better pack
lots of GPS batteries.

> Oh and while I'm on the subject of cameras, I spent some time getting
> the webcam up and running. Due to having the cable modem, the interval
> has been moved up to 1 per minute, and the pics will feed directly off
> the shop PC. Even though I have cable modem now, I still don't have
> a good enough feed for live video, but this should be pretty good.
> I'd love to have the cameras out on the trails or at the mud pit, but
> haven't thought of a cheap way to do that yet. (Though if we sit
> around at night watching videos, I'll be sure to feed the webcam
> from that, like I did last year.)

And I'll be handing that URL out to lots of people :)

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com