Re: Stall Convertor

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 11:19:06 EDT

At 10:00 PM 7/3/02 -0600, you wrote:
>--SNIP-- After driving my Duster for the first time down
>to the exhaust shop I noticed the off the line throttle isn't
>all that exciting. --SNIP-- According to mopar and
>the "K" factor a stall around 1900-2100 (145K) Is more
>sized to my engine. The car is a 76' with a 340 cam in it,
>429/.429 lift, stock sized 14" tires and stock 3.21 suregrip
>8.25 read end. The car had 68 hi-flow 340 manifolds
>with duel exhaust and an H-pipe. Not a screamer but a
>touch over stock. So am I on the right track?

The 340 is a great, small block motor (have had 3, still
have 1) but it's strength is really in the upper rpm ranges.

For street use, I would look into swapping the rear end
before looking into changing the convertor for improving
off the line throttle ... a 3.55 (if you do a fair amount of
hiway driving) or a 3.92 (if mainly urban driving).

For strip use, I would still swap rear ends first.

For a best match stall convertor, there are many factors
to consider .. rear end ratio, weight, mods and what I, IMHO,
consider the most important is at what rpm your torque
peaks.

HTH
Bob