Careful with Soft Tonneau covers

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 10:55:09 EDT

For those of you with Soft Tonneau covers, thought I would pass along
something I found out, and maybe someone has some possible suggestions...

Couple days ago, I was looking on the backside on the outside of my cab,
right in front of the bed, and I noticed that there were several small rust
spots. I was confused at first on how these got there, but it became clear
very soon. I have a soft tonneau cover that is the snap on type. When I
pull the soft tonneau off to put something in the bed of my truck, I have
to removed the rear bar (sitting on top of tailgate) and the 3 middle bars
supporting the cover. I cannot remove the front bar however, because it
does not go far enough forward from the rails to be pulled out.. Not really
a problem, or is it? I often carry stuff in the bed of my truck, usually in
the front of the bed, which pushes that front bar up against the rear of the
cab... at first this did not seem like a problem. Now, the rust spots?
Well, those are coming from the snaps on the bar! When the bar gets pushed
forward into the cab, the snaps are pushed up against the paint on the cab,
and when you start driving, well, you get the idea. Anyone have some ideas
here? I do this very often, probably 1-2 times a month as I seem to be the
church mover :-)

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L