Re: The Jeep saga

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 21:44:10 EDT

On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 23:26:49 -0400, Andy Levy wrote:

> As far as I know, all the running gear (both diffs, the t-case and the
> tranny) all have vent tubes. The front axle vent tube is up in the
> engine compartment, and I think the rear axle one is under the bed. As
> for the rest, I can't find them in my FSM; there's no entry for "Vent
> tubes" or anything in the index.

The T-case on my '95 definitely has one. I looked for it when I extended
the vent tubes on my axles (they're pathetically short on a stock gen II,
one of the many things they fixed on the gen III).

Anyway, I finally figured out where the tube on the T-case was. Managed
to spot it with a lot of searching and use of the mirror. It vents right
above the tranny near the base of the firewall. I figured it was
protected enough there (not to mention difficult to get to) that it
probably wouldn't cause problems.

IIRC, it's shown on one of the illustrations in the transfer case chapter
of the FSM, but they don't talk about it much.

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario