Re: Whats this code mean?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 21:29:00 EDT

At 08:26 PM 7/19/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I have an OBD I truck that pulls a 52. My scanner reads
>"Sustained rich mixture exceeds range of control". SNIP
>So, is it that my o2 sensor is "stuck" and needs replacing?
>Or do I have an overly rich condition that the properly functioning
>o2 sensor is catching but can't correct? The o2 sensor voltage
>is fluctuating as it should be (jumping from lean to rich) which
>make me think it working properly. Maybe it's malfunctioning
>sporadically? James

My guess that "something" (either mechanical or driver induced)
caused the pcm to detect an overly rich condition to trigger and
store the code. The fluctuating O2 sensor voltage indicate
that your O2 sensor is working properly. If an overly
rich condition is not detected after 'so many' drive cycles,
the code will be erased or you can erase it with a scanner
or resetting the pcm.

If the code becomes reoccurring, then it's time to do some
diagnosing. HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG