Was Attempt no. 3 failed, sort of.... Now Crank Walk

From: Got-Speed \(Marty\) (Got-Speed@cox.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 10:40:53 EDT

What I did to fix it ?!? I traded it in on my Dak ! LOL Seriously, some
little old lady bought it, ran into her a few months later and her *new*
warranty replaced the engine !

Basically, to fix the problem of crank walk you would have to *at the least*
take off the oil pan and inspect everything crank related. More than likely
you would have to replace all the bearings between the crank and the block,
possibly the con-rod bearings too. Crank walk can destroy alot more than
just that, if your crank is moving front to back, then your con-rods are
moving with it, which means there is extra force asserted on the wrist pin
bearings. I have never tested for this before, but I would assume you could
A) remove the belt and by any means possible (I know its tight in there) try
to move the crank pully from the front of the truck to the back. It should
not move at all, if it moves even a centimeter or two that could cause the
belt to skip a grove on the pullys, once half the belt is off the pullies,
it starts to get shreded and then it gets caught and either burns due to
friction or just flys off. B) you can put new parts on and start it up and
while revving watch the belt and pullies for flex/movement, you might be
able to use an induction gun to see better.
I may have missed which pully is the culprit here, but I am guessing the
tensioner pully ? If so your belt is probably getting caught on that and
burning up.
I had replaced my tensioner pully with a brand new one from chrysler and it
was screwed from the factory, I had to install a large washer between the
metal plate and the pully itself just to align all the pullies ( looking
down on the motor the new one was about 1/4" closer to the engine, which
meant the belt would hang off 1/4")

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you, but feel free to ask any
questions.

Marty
http://members.cox.net/got-speed