Re: ABS and Trouble Code question

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 06:51:11 EDT

At 10:22 AM 7/23/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I've got a 1999 Dakota sport v 8. I had a check engine light
>and the local parts store scanned it and told me the O2 was bad.
>I replaced it. But never reset the code, however the light did go out.
>I've tried to do the key trick to check codes, but it doesn't seem to
>work.

Some have had success turning the key On/Off 10 times instead
of 3 times. Some have had success turning the key On/Off 3 times
while holding in the trip odometer. Most have had to use a scanner.

>Second. I changed tire sizes and such about 20k miles ago with no problems.
>I rotated the tires about two weeks ago. Now just out of the blue I have an
>ABS Brake light on. Do you check those codes with the fancy key trick too?
>If so, it's not working. Is there another way to diagnose ABS issues?

The most common cause for a triggered ABS/Brake light on is a failing
speed sensor (top of diff.) or some fault in its circuit (loose or corroded
connection or a break in ciruit wire). That might be your problem.

>Thanks... So glad I found the list... -G-

HTH. Welcome to the list.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG