Re: RE: RE: Re: cryogenics

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 18:07:38 EDT

You may be runniing into a couple problems with the freezing deal. Yes,
liquid nitro freezing and staged rewarming will align the molecules to create
a stronger material. I believe this application was designed for materials
that don't reach high operating temperatures, for example someone that has a
really expensive trumpet would do this so that the surface (which is brass)
will be less prone to ding easily, but the trumpet will never be at 200
degeres or higher. The next problem is that the brake rotors are made of a
specific density of metal. Let me give a little history, when asbestos was
outlawed the newer materials for brake pads caused either massive squealing
or fast wear (depending on the mix), so to combat the wear rate of the pads
and not have the squealing they started making the rotrs out of a less dense
material, hence the reason you actually have slight wear in the rotor over
time. So if you do the freezing thing you may re-institute the squealing
problem and have a brake fading problem to boot.

hope that helps

John S

PS cant imagine the freezing deal is worth the cost, you could probably buy
several sets of drilled-slotted rotors/pads before you reach the cost of the
freezing process