Re: Need advice on drilling through bed

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 00:03:29 EDT

Jason Bleazard <jason.dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

: So, I just picked up a new lock box to sit in the bed under the tonneau.
: Nothing too fancy, just plastic, but at least it'll lock and make it more
: difficult for anyone to walk off with my tools.

: Anyway, if I want it bolted in, I obviously have to drill some holes in
: the bed to run the bolts through. I was wondering if anyone has any
: suggestions about doing this. What do you use to treat it to prevent it
: from rusting? Do you treat the holes before running the bolts through, or
: treat the surface after the bolts are in place? Other than checking to
: make sure I'm not drilling through anything important (fuel/brake lines,
: exhaust, etc.), is there any location for drilling that works better? Any
: other tips?

  What I would probably do is, after drilling the holes and making sure
that the box is going to bolt in correctly, remove the bolts, make sure
the area is clean, and hit it with some spray paint. (primer, white,
whatever). Then, after you get the bolts in place and have everything
bolted down, you may want to fill the gaps on the top and bottom with
silicone sealer. The paint should protect the bare metal, and the
silicone will do the same while also helping to prevent water from ever
reaching the paint in the first place and also preventing water from
getting up into your toolbox.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'