RE: RE: ATF +3

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 11:02:07 EDT

TSB#: 21-006-01

NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH CHRYSLER
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS EXCEPT 1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS.

DISCUSSION:
A new transmission fluid (ATF+4(R) - Type 9602) has been developed and
is being used as factory fill for all vehicles with Chrysler automatic
transmissions. Until now, vehicles originally filled with ATF+2 or ATF+3
were to be serviced with ATF+3. Effective immediately, it is recommended
that all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions except for 1999
and earlier minivans be serviced with ATF+4(R). ATF+3 should continue to
be used for 1999 and earlier minivans because of the potential for
torque converter shudder during break in. For all other applications the
ATF+4(R) fluid offers significant benefits as outlined below.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) MUST ALWAYS BE USED IN VEHICLES THAT WERE ORIGINALLY
FILLED WITH ATF+4(R).

NOTE :SERVICE INTERVALS DO NOT CHANGE. THE SERVICE INTERVAL CURRENTLY IN
EFFECT FOR A GIVEN VEHICLE SHOULD CONTINUE TO BE FOLLOWED.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) IS COMPATIBLE WITH ATF+3 AND CAN BE USED TO TOP OFF
VEHICLES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE ATF+2 OR ATF+3. DO NOT USE ATF+2 OR ATF+3
TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT HAVE ATF+4(R) FLUID.

BENEFITS
^ Better anti-wear properties
^ Improved rust/corrosion prevention
^ Controls oxidation
^ Eliminates deposits
^ Controls friction
^ Retains anti-foaming properties
^ Superior properties for low temperature operation