Re: Rear-End Problems

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 18:21:51 EDT

waterpolo5150@hotmail.com wrote:

: I am having a problem with my differential/rear end (insert jokes here).
: I have a 99 Dakota SLT 4X2 with a 5-speed manual. It is making a very
: loud howling noise from the rear end. It sounds like a bearing went out.
: The dealer wants to charge me 525.00 to take a look at see what the problem is.
: I was wondering if anyone had any similar problems and knew what this is.
: When the problem first started it was very hard to hear, now you can hear
: it all the time. The dealer did verify that the noise was not coming from
: the tranny or the drive shaft support bearing. Any help would be greatly
: appriciated.

  The same thing just happened on my '96 4x2 5-speed. It turned out
to be the pinion bearing, and the dealer said the axle bearings were
wearing too. Fortunately, it was covered under warranty. $525 seems
like a heck of a lot of money just to diagnose the problem! I would
expect the whole repair to be less than that! About the most I would
probably pay to diagnose the problem is their standard labor rate
$40-70? times maybe a couple of hours. It doesn't take much time to
pull a rear end apart.

   Here is a link to the thread where I was asking for help with
my problem: http://www.dakota-truck.net/ARCHIVES/0207/0863.html

  Some of the answers there may help you. You will also find another
URL in that thread: http://www.ring-pinion.com/diagnosing.shtml
Which is a link to good info on diagnosing rear end noises.
(If the direct link doesn't work, just go to ring-pinion.com,
click on "tech articles" then "diagnosing".)

Good luck!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'