Re: RE: MA State Troopers

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 07:55:58 EDT

> So tell me, whats the rule for
> on-ramps.
They are merging into traffic, the people on the highway have the right of
way. It is the merging car's responsibility to match their speed to the flow
of traffic and blend in.
People in the right lane are NOT required to move over, slow down or do
ANYTHING. Doing so disrupts the flow of traffic on the highway, and is
dangerous in heavy traffic.
For those who disagree, look at it this way-you are in a parking lot, and
want to pull out onto a street. I am driving down the street. Are you going
to pull out in front of me expecting me to let you in? Heck no, I have the
right of way, as I am already on the street. If you did pull out and get hit
you get ticketed for failure to yield right of way.
The highway is the same way. In fact, many states have stopped doing it to
save money, but there used to be yield signs on the on ramps.

This is what the MO Hwy Patrol taught us in driving class for MODOT.

Jon
STL MO