Cam installation questions

From: Wes Weems (wweems@fix.net)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 20:55:43 EDT

Ok,
So I ordered a regular replacement cam so I can install it tomorrow, and I
was wondering if anyone had tips.

>From my FSM I gather, I need to align the timing marks on the gears, follow
the procedure to pull the intake manifold, valve covers, and distributor,
and lifters+pushrods. My questions are....

1) after the lifters and pushrods are yanked, and the distributer yanked...
should the cam just pull out from behind the thrust plate?

2)how do I prevent the cam from getting missaligned, as well as the
distributor. I'd hate to go throughthe mess of trying to find lost alignment
again..

Any advice would be great... I think I will be capable of doing this... just
alignment problems I think..

Wes